What to Bring|
Recommended items for your fly fishing trip
Like any other fly fishing excursion there are items you should bring with you, items of your own you might want to bring and items you shouldn't bring.
Items we recommend you bring
- Foul Weather Clothing - a warm sweater and coat, rain gear, toque and gloves.
- Wading Sandals (protected toe style) - if the air and water temperature allow, waders get very hot.
- Polarized Sun Glasses - reduce the glare off the water allowing you better visibility.
- Digital Camera - capture images of your Bow River fly fishing experience.
- A hat or cap - protection from the sun and sharp hooks being cast.
- Sportfishing License (see below) - you can purchase your Sportfishing License on-line prior to your arrival. (The cost of your Sportfishing License is not included in the price of your trip.)
Optional items you could bring (These items are supplied unless you prefer to bring your own.)
- Fishing Rods and reels (5, 6 or 7 wt.) - leave your 2, 3 and 4 weight rods at home.
- Waders - chest high waders that can be folded down to the waist.
- Wading boots (non-studded) - snug fitting with extra laces. Studded wading boots are not allowed in our boats.
- Sun Screen Lotion - SPF 30 or higher.
Included in the price of your Bow River Hookers fly fishing trip
- Your trip includes pick up and return to either your S.E. Calgary hotel/motel or a predetermined meeting place.
- Snacks and non-alcoholic beverages during the course of your Bow River fly fishing day.
- Unless otherwise specified, your Bow River fly fishing trip also includes a hearty mid-day lunch (excluded on half-day floats).
- All flies - your guide will be equipped with a wide variety of flies effective on the Bow River.
- Any extra fly fishing gear needed for your trip - extruded leaders, tippets, strike indicators, first aid kit, Advil, Tums, toilet paper, handi-wipes, etc.
Not included in the price of your Bow River Hookers fly fishing trip
- Sportfishing License (WIN Card $8.00 [good for 5 years] plus Canadian Resident: Annual $25.66, Non-Canadian Resident: 1-day $26.63, 5-day $47.63, Annual $70.90). If you do not have an Sportfishing License when your guide meets you, his first stop will be at a sporting outlet to allow you to obtain an Sportfishing License.
- A gratuity to the guide - gratuity standard is 10% of the trip fee. Your guide supplies and maintains all his own equipment; rods, reels, fly lines, flies, boat, vehicle, etc. Although not required, the gratuity is an indication of your level of satisfaction with his efforts on your Bow River fly fishing excursion.
Sportfishing Licenses On-Line
- Sportfishing Licenses may be purchased on-line at AlbertaRELM.com. If you have fished in Alberta in the last 5 years, you will have a WIN Card. If you have not fished in Alberta in the last 5 years, the first thing you will need to do is to purchase a WIN Card. Once you have purchased a WIN Card you will be able to purchase your Sportfishing License.
- All non-Canadian residents over the age of 15 require a WIN and a Sportfishing License.
- All non-Alberta Canadian residents over the age of 15 require a WIN and a Sportfishing License.
- All Alberta residents between the ages of 16 and 64 require a WIN and a Sportfishing License.